Serving all the communities of the Buckeye Lake Region

Local levies rejected

LICKING COUNTY- Nearly 80 percent of Licking County voters let the remaining 20 percent decide the fate of several issues in Tuesday’s election–of 102,731 registered voters in Licking County, only 19,224, or 19.39 percent, made it to the polls for the May 8 ballot. The unofficialresults reveal:

+ Buckeye Lake Village’s new three mill, fiveyear general operating levy was soundly defeated 87 votes in favor, to 204 votes against. If approved, the levy was to generate $134,213 which village council planned to allocate 60 percent to the Buckeye Lake Police Department and 40 percent to the Buckeye Lake Fire Department.

+ Buckeye Lake Village’s proposed charter amendments also went down, but only by two votes- -143 votes for to 145 against. The amendments were:

+ Placing seven members on the Buckeye Lake Planning Commission – currently, there are four members.

+ Placing fivemembers on the Buckeye Lake Park and Recreation Commission – currently, there are four members.

+ A provision to allow the Buckeye Lake Charter Review Committee members to be compensated sometime in the future–currently, they are not compensated.

In November, the charter amendments failed by three votes.

+ Kirkersville Village’s three mill, fiveyear replacement levy failed 49 votes for to 54 against. The village has one more chance to pass the levy in November before it’s no longer collected.

+ Kirkersville Village’s liquor option passed 56 votes to 42. The option allows Sunday liquor sales for the Kirkersville Carryout.

+ The Licking County Board of Mental Retardation And Developmental Disabilities’ one mill fiveyear levy for schools and training centers strongly passed, 12,522 votes to 7,079.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *