HEBRON – Lakewood School Board members wants to know what school district residents, would like to see in a new superintendent. The board will distribute a public survey asking residents what qualities they expect from a new superintendent. Lakewood Superintendent Jay Gault recently announced his retirement effective June 30, 2015.
The board is working with Licking County Education Service Center Superintendent Nelson McCray to find Gault’s replacement.
The Beacon obtained an early version of the survey that will be available to district residents. “Each board member will be given 10 to pass out,” said Gault. “Hopefully, some people will access the survey from our website and people will be able to pick them up at the central office.”
McCray asks that each survey be returned to him by Sept. 29 or sooner.
According to the survey, the requirements for a new superintendent are:
• Possess an Ohio Superintendent’s certificate,
• Possess successful experience as a superintendent, assistant supt., or principal,
• Demonstrate a commitment to academic excellence,
• Demonstrate ability to communicate with the board, staff, and community,
• Possess experience in budget preparation and fiscal management
• Demonstrate competence in labor relations and contract management
• Possess knowledge of food service, transportation, and building/ grounds
• Possess experience with running levy campaigns, bond and operating
• Possess knowledge of the construction of new/renovation of facilities, and,
• Be willing to participate in community activities.
McCray, in the survey, asks district residents:
• Besides the above-mentioned qualifications to be used in selection of a new Lakewood Superintendent, what additional qualifications would you like to see the new leader of Lakewood possess to take it to the next level of excellence?
• What kind of professional, or other experiences and training, would you like to see your new superintendent possess?
• What do you consider the most important goal(s) for Lakewood to attain with the leadership of the next superintendent?
• What next steps would you like the new superintendent to address upon hiring (during his/her tenure) to make Lakewood a better learning community?