Duck blind lotteries set for Aug. 16
COLUMBUS - More than 290 permits are available to hunters wishing to construct a blind to hunt ducks and geese on select Ohio State Park lakes this waterfowl hunting season. Lottery drawings will be held the morning of Saturday, Aug. 16, at 17 state parks that offer the duck blind permits, along with lotteries for 71 permits and the use of 75 duck blinds available on two state wildlife areas.
Interested applicants must appear in person at a participating state park office with proof of a 2014 Ohio hunting license, state wetlands stamp endorsement in the applicant’s name, and a signed 2014 or 2013 federal duck stamp. Applicants under the age of 18 are encouraged to have a parent or legal guardian present to sign the permit contract, and must provide the required license and stamps.
Participating state parks include Alum Creek, A.W. Marion, Buckeye Lake, Deer Creek, and Delaware in central Ohio. Here’s the details:
• Alum Creek State Park (Delaware County) will offer 25 blinds. Applications are accepted beginning at 8:30 a.m. with the drawing at 9 a.m. at 3615 South Old State Road, Delaware, 43015. Call 740-548-4631 for more information.
• A.W. Marion State Park (Pickaway County) will offer three blinds. Applications are accepted beginning at 8:30 a.m. with the drawing at 9 a.m. at the Deer Creek State Park office, 20635 State Park Road 20, Mt. Sterling, 43143. Call 740-869- 3124 for more information.
• Buckeye Lake State Park (Fairfield/Licking/Perry counties) will offer 16 blinds. Applications are accepted beginning at 7:30 a.m. with the drawing immediately following at 2905 Liebs Island Road, Millersport, 43046. Call 740-467-2690 for more information.
• Deer Creek State Park (Pickaway/ Fayette counties) will offer 14 blinds. Applications are accepted beginning at 8:30 a.m. with the drawing at 9 a.m. at 20635 State Park Road 20, Mt. Sterling, 43143. Call 740-869- 3124 for more information.
• Delaware State Park (Delaware County) will offer 25 blinds. Applications are accepted beginning at 8:30 a.m. with the drawing at 9 a.m. at 5202 U.S. 23 North, Delaware, 43015 (meet at the marina). Call 740- 548-4631 for more information.
Each hunter can apply for only one duck blind permit, and no one can apply or draw for another person. There is a $50 non-refundable permit fee for the state park lottery winners. Most locations accept cash, checks or credit cards for payment. Lottery winners have 45 days to construct their blinds, and all blinds must be dismantled by March 15, 2015.
Information on waterfowl hunting seasons, locations and restrictions will be discussed by park staff and wildlife officers during the lotteries. For general information about hunting seasons and regulations, call 800-WILDLIFE or visit wildohio.com.