David Morrow, age 95 of Hebron, passed away on June 12, 2013. He was born November 28, 1917, in Hebron, to the late Paul D. and Ruth (Pence) Morrow. He is preceded in death by his wife of 63 years, Mildred (Hamilton) Morrow, January 5, 2003; and by his son-in-law, John A. Spellman, Jr., February 13, 2002. Mr. Morrow is survived by two daughters, Virginia Spellman, Heath; and Marjorie Morrow (Alan Freedman), New York City; his son, William Morrow (Carol Seymour Morrow), Bellville, OH; two grandchildren, Joel Hamilton Morrow (Wendy Haft Morrow), Mansfield, and Erin Anne Morrow, Columbus; and by two great-grandchildren, Connar VandeVoorde and Margaret Rose Morrow, Mansfield.
A 1935 graduate of Hebron High School, Mr. Morrow attended Denison University for two years (1935-1937) and served in the US Army (1944-45) in WWII.
He was an active member of his community throughout his life. He is the last living charter member of the Hebron American Legion Post 285 and 69-year member of the Hebron Masonic Lodge F&AM #116. He was a member of the Hebron United Methodist Church since 1942. He retired in 1979 as a Rural Mail Carrier for the Hebron Post Office after 28 years.
In the late 1940’s and 1950’s, Morrow and his father, Paul D. owned and operated the Hebron Garage and Chrysler dealership. A 6th generation Hebronite, he was known by many as “Mr. Hebron” and as the town historian. He was a charter member and past president of the Hebron Historical Society and created an historical slide show of the area which he presented annually to the elementary schools in Hebron as well as numerous organizations in the area. Mr. Morrow also wrote histories of the United Methodist Church and the Masonic Lodge. One of his proudest accomplishments was the development of a subdivision in the west end of Hebron. Purchasing the original 16 acres in 1940, he cleared the land himself and named its three streets for his family: Hamilton Avenue, maiden name of his wife, Mildred (Hamilton) Morrow; Pence Street named for his great-grandfather, Charles A. Pence; and Warden Street, maiden name of his grandmother, Anna (Warden) Pence.
He was a life-long baseball fan and pitched for his high school team and Denison University as well as a businessman’s team in Hebron. He was an avid and early organic gardener. Special thanks to Chapel Grove Inn and to Hospice of Central Ohio for their wonderful care and attention. The family requests that memorial donations be made to the Hebron Historical Society, PO Box 542, Hebron, OH 43025-0542.
A funeral service celebrating Dave’s life was held June 17, 2013, at the Kirkersville home of The Hoskinson Funeral & Cremation Service. Burial followed with full military honors by the Licking
County Joint Veterans Alliance at Licking Baptist Cemetery.
Hoskinson Funeral & Cremation Service, Kirkersville, is honored to care for the Morrow family.