Petition presented to remove new 4-way stop
He presented a petition with 78 signatures asking that the new 4-way stop signs at the intersection of Main and Lancaster streets be removed. The primary complaint is noise from vehicles, particularly trucks and motorcycles, accelerating after stopping for the signs.
Last month former Police Chief John Shirk told Pettet and neighbors that the stop sign is the result of concerns raised last fall about the primarily elementary school crosswalk at the intersection and the length of the school zone which confused drivers. He drafted a letter to ODOT that suggested several changes, including adding the new 4-way stop. The letter was signed by Millersport Council members, Walnut Township Board of Education members and Walnut Township Trustees.
The petition includes the signatures of two current school board members – President Faye Whitaker and Tom Cumbow; former board member David Brookover who was board president when the letter was signed; several school district employees; ODOT official and Millersport resident John Clark; and a couple of Millersport officials. Council President Dave Levacy, who chaired the meeting in the mayor’s absence, said he would turn the petition over to the mayor.
Council member Charles Mesko said he sat on Pettet’s porch from 8 - 11 p.m. Monday night. “It was noisy,” he reported, even though traffic volume was light.
The police chief’s position has reverted to part-time status. Police Chief Mark Consolo will be paid $300 for 20 hours per week. He will also be able to draw from an annual 200 hour bank at $15 per hour for special projects, events.
Council members learned that a report that the village would receive a $130,000 Ohio Public Works Commission grant to upgrade Laker Driver turned out to be premature. The village’s share was to be $45,000 with street supervisor Gilbert Arnold accounting for most of that by providing in-kind services. Just $50,000 is available at this point, but Millersport is first in line for any funds leftover from projects last year. Council members agreed unanimously to seek bids with a 60 day acceptance/rejection clause. If funds become available in that time-frame, they will move ahead. Otherwise the project will be pushed back to next year.
Fire Chief Matt Bergum reported that both the Fairfield Beach squad – due to be replaced late this year – and the backup squad are out of service for what may be major repairs.
Basil Joint Fire District (Baltimore) has loaned the department a medic, but Bergum said it’s only available for a few weeks. He said renting a unit might be necessary if both require extensive repairs.