2010-07-24 / News
Nearly 100 Hebron residents and Ohio National Road Association members turned out Wednesday, July 14 to see two Ohio National Road Interpretive Signs unveiled. Above left, long-time National Road residents Betty McCullough (75 year resident) and Dave Morrow (71 year resident) help Hebron Mayor Clifford L. Mason and Cyndie Gerken, President of the Ohio National Road Association, unveil the sign that will be installed outside the Hebron Municipal Complex. The second sign will be installed outside the old mill on East Main Street. The signs are the sixth and seventh out of a total of 60 signs to be installed along the National Road in Ohio. Licking County has more miles – 32 – of the National Road than any other Ohio county. Licking County Commissioner and National Road historian Doug Smith gave the crowd a brief history lesson. Congress authorized the National Road in 1806, but its construction was quickly interrupted by the War of 1812. The road reached Wheeling then part of Virginia in 1818, but construction stalled and didn’t resume across the river in Ohio until 1825. The road reached Licking County in 1831 and came through Hebron in 1834. The National Road ultimately extended from Cumberland, Maryland to Vandalia, Illinois. Hebron became known as “The Crossroads of Ohio” since both the National Road and Ohio Erie Canal crossed in the village. The next Licking County unveiling is set for 1 p.m. this Saturday in the township park in Brownsville. Beacon photo by Charles Prince.