2008-09-20 / News

How to replace food stamps

COLUMBUS - The Sept. 14 wind storm that left more than 2 million Ohioans facing longterm power outages is more than an inconvenience to food stamp recipients.

According to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS), food purchased with food stamps can be replaced in certain circumstances, including if it spoils because of a power outage lasting longer than four hours.

To replace spoiled food purchased with food stamps, individuals must visit their county department of job and family services (CDJFS) and complete and submit a "Statement Requesting Replacement of Food Stamp Benefits" form. This form must be submitted within 10 days of the event that caused the food to spoil (in this case, Sept. 14) or, if the person was away from home, 10 days from when the food spoilage was discovered. Individuals can request an amount equal to the amount of food lost, but not exceeding the food stamp allotment for the month in which the disaster occurred.

Return to top