Things to do…
Dawes Arboretum - Ohio 13, three miles north of I-70.
Night Hike- Friday, July 18, 9 - 11 p.m. Experience The Arboretum at night! Kids and adults are welcome to attend the hike through collections, woodlands and trails on one of our most popular programs. If the sky is clear, you'll have a great view of the full moon! Free, meet at the Visitors Center Deck.
Ohio Mushroom Society Meeting and Public Display- Sunday, July 20, 1 - 2:30 p.m. Join Walt Sturgeon of the Ohio Mushroom Society for an indoors presentation on Ohio's fungi. If conditions are appropriate, join Walt in the field exploring various habitats for these somewhat mysterious and often misunderstood living organisms. $8/members free, reservation required, meet at the Zand Educaiton Center.
The grounds are open from dawn to dusk. The Visitors Center is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and from 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays and holidays. Call 740-323-2355 or 800-44-DAWES or visit www.dawesarb.org.
Licking Park District - Licking County. Here are some July events. For more information, call (740) 587-2535 or visit www.lickingparkdistrict. com
• July 13: Outdoor Adventures Series: Navigating 101- Join us as we teach you how to use several methods to find your way out of the woods. Everyone who hikes, camps or backpacks should know the basics to avoid getting lost on their adventures. Participants are encouraged to bring their own compass and GPS unit if they have them. William C. Kraner Nature Center. 2 p.m.
• July 19: Outdoor Adventures Series: Archery- Join the Licking Park District as we introduce you to the sport of archery. Participants will learn about the different types of bows and arrows and how to use them safely. There will be plenty of hands-on opportunities. Call 587-2535 to register by July 12. Infirmary Mound Park, shelter #4. 10 a.m.
Lake Tours - Buckeye Lake. See historic Buckeye Lake by boat. Take a ride on the Greater Buckeye Lake Historical Society's Queen of the Lake II. The 50-passenger boat cruises every Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. from May to October. Board at the Buckeye Lake State Park's North Shore Ramp just off Ohio 79 in the Village of Buckeye Lake. Tours are not operated during thunderstorms. Suggested donations are $10 for adults and $8 for seniors and children. Children under age 5 are free. For more information call (740) 929-1998 or visit www.buckeyelakehistory.org.
Perry County Fair 2008 - New Lexington. Monday, July 14 - Saturday, July 19, daily admission $7. The Perry County Fair features American Idol star Bucky Covington, July 18 - 8:30 p.m.; Great Little Bear Show is daily at 3 p.m., 5 p.m. & 8 p.m. Rides open Mon-Sat at 1 p.m. Pleasant Valley Boys perform square dance music every night at the Pavilion from 9 p.m. - midnight.
• Monday, July 14: Junior Fair Queen & King Coronation, 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, July 15: 3-4 p.m. - 4-H Demonstrations; 5 p.m. - Matt Jergens
• Wednesday, July 16: 6:30 p.m. - New Lexington High Dance Team
• Thursday, July 17: 11 a.m. - Senior Citizens Luncheon
• Friday July 18: 5 p.m. - Ronald McDonald Show, 6 p.m. - Kid's Pedal Pull
• Saturday July 19: 2:30 p.m. - Dave Lehman; 9 p.m. to Midnight - Pleasant Valley Boys
Petting Farm: Monday - Saturday 2-8 p.m.
For more information call (740) 342-1485 OR (740) 342-3047, or visit www.perrycountyfair.com.
Lancaster Festival - Lancaster. July 17-26, Throughout Lancaster, daily 9 a.m.-11 p.m., Most events are free. Complete schedule at www.lanfest.org, Summer's sizzling salute to the arts will be the 24th season for this world-class music and arts festival featuring the Lancaster Festival Orchestra. The headliner is Wynonna, who will perform with the Lancaster Festival Orchestra on July 19.
Flint Ridge - Glenford. Flint Ridge, an Ohio Historical Society site where native Ohioans mined high-quality flint for making tools, will be hosting a series of summer events highlighting the state's Native American and pioneer heritage. In July, visitors can step back in time to learn about flint knapping, ancient tools and weapons, Native American stories and pottery.
• July 12: Master flint knapper Ed Moreland will demonstrates the ancient art of crafting raw flint into projectile points and tools from noon to 5:00 p.m. Donations are accepted for this event.
• July 18- 20: Visitors can experience the fun of throwing a long dart with a tool that dates back thousands of years called an atlatl at the Ohio Atlatl Association Practice and Competition. The event is open to the public 1-5 p.m., Friday, 10 a.m. -6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. On Saturday at 2 p.m., Skeeter Kish will explore the atlatl, including its construction, physics, and history. The following day from noon to 5 p.m., flintknapper Chris Miller will demonstrate the fashioning projectile points. Donations accepted.
Flint Ridge is located at 7091 Brownsville Road, SE. It is four miles north of I-70, three miles north of Brownsville, in Licking County, at the intersection of county roads 668 and 312 (Flint Ridge Road).
For additional information, call 800.600.7178/740.344.1919 prior to the event and 740.787.2476/800 .283.8707 on weekends. For more information about Ohio Historical Society events, go online at www. ohiohistory.org/events.
Columbus Zoo Family Nights - Columbus. Enjoy $6 Columbus Zoo and Aquarium admission including unlimited Zoo rides after 4 p.m. on Family Nights at the Zoo presented by Bob Evans Farms. The discounted summer admission rate gives guests access to the Zoo and unlimited Zoo rides, including the new Jungle Jack's Landing, after 4 p.m. every Monday through Thursday throughout the summer. Discount is valid for all ages. Family nights at the Zoo provide fun and educational family activities every Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. through August 20. Fo rmore information visit www. columbuszoo.org.
National Trail Raceway Special Events - Hebron. It's a full summer of racing fun at National Trail Raceway. 2650 National Rd. SW, Hebron, Ohio 43025, Hours and admission prices vary: for more information visit www. nationaltrailraceway.com or call 740-928-5706.
• July 13- National Dragster Challenge
• July 19- Night of Thunder • July 25 through 27- NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series