Still time to enter Hot Rod Reunion
HEBRON - If you snoozed, you didn't lose your chance to display a street rod at the upcoming 5th annual Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, presented by SoffSeal, June 15-17, National Trail Raceway.
That's the word from the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum, producers of 3-day festival of rods and racing. "Although you've missed the preevent deadline, you can still get a great spot at the Reunion," said Tony Thacker, executive director of the Parks Museum, "so come on down!"
Thacker said it's easy for anyone who wants to bring a street rod, muscle car, hot rod or classic and participate in the SoffSeal Show 'N Shine. "To register onsite, simply come Fri., June 15, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. at National Trail Raceway to enter a car in the SoffSeal Show 'N Shine. Remember judging starts at 10 a.m. on Friday."
Onsite entry is $55 and includes one 3-day event ticket. Additional tickets are available at the gate: Friday $20, Saturday $20 and Sunday $15.
The 5th annual Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion is part of the museum's Hot Rod Heritage Series which brings to life the sights, sounds and people who made history in the early days of drag racing, land speed racing and the golden age of American car culture.
Unique among motorsports events, the Reunion honors some of the top names in hot rodding from the past and features a fabulous array of cool drag cars, street rods, classics, customs and muscle cars of the historic and present-day hot rod eras.
Daily general admission tickets/ pit passes will be available at the National Trail Raceway; phone: 740/928-5706; www.nationaltrailraceway. com. Cost per person: Friday, $20; Saturday, $20; Sunday, $15. Children 15 and under are free when accompanied by an adult.
The Reunion features a wide variety of activities and events, including:
* Just added: DuPont Automotive Finishes is sponsoring the appearance of American Graffiti actor Paul Le Mat, as well as two replica cars from the film: a yellow 1932 Ford Coupe that Le Mat drove and the black '55 Chevrolet 150 sedan driven by Harrison Ford.
* Hot Heads Eliminator NHRA vintage drag racing, featuring some the sport's most famous and historic cars and drivers, racing in such classes at Top Fuel, Supercharged Gassers, classic Funny Cars and Super Stocks.
* SoffSeal Street rod "show and shine" with thousands of gleaming pre-1972 hot rods, street rods, custom cars, classics and muscle cars. "Memory Lane" will have a display of nostalgic race cars.
* National Hot Rod Reunion Reception, held at the Columbus Airport Marriott, Fri., June 15 from 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. Open to everyone at no charge, it's a tribute to the Reunion's Grand Marshal and Honorees and a chance for fans to meet some of drag racing's heroes. Grand Marshal for the event will be Jeg Coughlin. This year's honorees are John Abbott, Don Cain, Ted Harbit, Fred Hurst, and the team of Gary Rupp and Pat Dakin. The Justice Bros. Reunion Spotlight highlights Frank Hawley.
* Cacklefest on Saturday evening, where nitro-burning historic, front-engine top-fuel dragsters and other classic race cars are push started just like in the "old days."
* The Swap meet and Reunion Midway are filled with manufacturer exhibits and demonstrations